Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tio Joe's Prayer

Tonight, Steven asked me to say the family prayer before bedtime.

As I was praying, I was reminded of his Tio Joe's ending to every prayer, "And Lord we pray for the orphan, the widow, the one on the street..."

I got choked up as I closed with Tio Joe's prayer.

When I was eight months pregnant, my mom called me one day sounding gloomy.

I'll never forget that conversation. She had just visited my littlest brother's birth mom, who was expecting too.

I knew my mom faithfully visited her because she'd sadly described her living conditions to me & send me updates on her health.

"You know," she said during that call, "every baby deserves to have parents that decorate a room for them, like Ezra's getting."

My mom loves decorating- it's important to her- so I knew that statement was about far more than decorating.

What my mom was really saying was that every baby deserves to be celebrated. And that baby was going to be born to a sick, drug addicted mom. It's hard to imagine a life like that for a child still in utero.

Ezra is snuggled up in my bed right now, breathing heavily in the scent of his mama as he lays on my chest. I know he feels safe & secure. I'm not a perfect mom but I am confident he knows he's a gift.

He knows he is wanted.

But how many countless children go to bed at night feeling unwanted & forgotten, like they are more a burden than a gift? I can picture their little eyes tonight, the windows to their soul, with that look of desperate longing a child has, the one that asks, "does anyone love me?"

And for a moment, I imagine Ezra as one of them & it makes me cry.

I know I need to pray for the orphans & widows so much more than I do. I wonder if God is ever saddened when he hears my selfish prayers in light of all the heavy ones these orphaned babies & burdened widows must pray...

I hope tonight's heavy heart is not in vain.

Who knows, you and I may one day be called to the highest calling of all- opening our arms to receiving a child as part of our families.

For now, I just want to remember to pray for them.

I hope you will too.

Thank you Tio Joe for that much needed reminder.


"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." James 1:27





No comments:

Post a Comment